Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fake Birthday Cake Fail...

Hello my friends! How did everyone enjoy their long weekend? I spent mine lounging around and catching up on a little homework. So there was nothing really exciting on my end.

But today is one of my bestest friends fake birthdays. We decided that the end of December was a terrible time to have a birthday because we were always too focused on Christmas and we were always really short of money and sometimes forgetting about our dearest friend! :O So like the Queen, this year we moved her birthday to a more convenient financially stable time of the year. (Although as far as I know the Queen moved her birthday so that it fell at a prettier and warmer time of the year).
Because she loves peppermint I tried to make this cake:


But it ended up like this:
To start with my oven decided to chuck a hissy fit and cooked the outside of the cakes but was still gooey and wobbly in the middle, so I left the cakes in a little longer but now they are slightly hard around the edges and possibly a little burnt, but cooked perfectly in the middle!

Then when making the buttercream, I decided it wasn't green enough so I packed in the dye. And when putting the buttercream on I couldn't get it smooth enough even when trying to smooth it with a boiling hot metal spatula. So I tried to hide the ugliness of it with chocolate chips and crushed up mint slice biscuits. But if you ask me it still looks like Oscar the Grouch's hairy butt.

I just really hope it tastes better than it looks. We shall find out tonight after dinner!

8 comments:

  1. Haha Oscar's bum :P I think it looks yummy! It's so hard decorating like the cook books show. I think half the time they're not even a real cakes they photograph!

    I bet it tasted scrumptious! I love your fake birthday idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! They are definitely photoshopped boxes or something! I'll let you know how it tastes later on :)

      Delete
  2. I've been having baking failures galore these past couple of months so I know how you feel. I'm sure it still tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should know if it tastes any good in a few hours! :)

      Delete
  3. I'd still eat it!

    Just thought I'd also let you know, you won my giveaway :-) congratulations, hope it brightens your day even if your cake isn't what you want lol.

    Shoot me off an email with your address so I can send it off to you :-)

    missdirections(a)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHATATATATATATATT!!! I never win anything! You made my day! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hehe Oscars butt I love it! It does look good though and I'd definitely eat it!
    I hope it tastes good, looking forward to hearing how the birthday girl enjoyed Oscars Butt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh.. I've made the same cake (similar anyways) hopefully it tastes yummy!!

    ReplyDelete