Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Salt Dough Ornaments


Last night I decided along with Christmas cards, I will be sending everyone an ornament for their tree! I figured salt dough ornaments would be the way to go.

I've never made salt dough ornaments before (or remember if I had as a kiddywink)so I made a test batch first. I followed the instructions from one of my links on pinterest. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of flour, then you mix it all up into a dough, roll it out, cut up your shapes, whack it in the oven till they are hard and dry, then decorate to your liking!

It completely didn't occur to me that I was reading an American site so when it said to cook on 200 degrees for 4-6 hours, I cranked up the oven. To no surprise I completely burnt the first tray within an hour or so. (Farenheit is different to Celcius, derrr) Whoops! I didn't quite feel comfortable leaving the oven on overnight so I chucked the second lot of ornaments in the slow cooker with baking paper on high. I flipped them once and within a couple of hours they were perfect right before I went to bed!

I'll be making more over the weekend and actually decorating them so I'll keep you posted on how they work out!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea for Christmas, I hope everyone appreciates the beautiful gesture and effort you have gone through. I have done something similar with confusing american measurements with aussie measurements, Wooops!
    Fingers crossed they turn out exactly like you imagined. Have fun decorating on the weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cute! I can't wait to see the finished product :)

    They'd be great as the gift tags for pressies that can then be used as ornaments!! Oooh, I might have to steal this idea, Ash! ♡

    ReplyDelete