Monday, March 28, 2011

Wedding songs

I feel that music should set the tone and really reflect on who we are. I dont want to be one of those retarded brides that walks down the aisle to Better Man by Pearl Jam just coz its a good song. It's a totally inapropriate wedding song unless you want both families to think that your just settling. : But in saying that trying to find an appropriate song that we both like is FREAKING HARD! Here's a rough list of songs we've discussed:

  • The Time is Now - Moloko: I REALLY wanted to walk down the aisle to a slowed down version of this to this but Matt didn't like it because he has it stuck in his head that I should walk down the aisle to something classical or the lame old "Here comes the bride", totally not my style.

  • Boy and Bear's Cover of Crowded House's Fall At Your Feet: We both thought this would be a great song for walking down the aisle, till I looked up the lyrics meaning and apparently its about this guy has been cheated on and he lets her cheat on her new partner with him or something like that.

  • Today - Smashing Pumpkins: Was written by Billy when he was depressed on tour and its pretty much saying things couldn't get any worse.

  • Big Jet Plane - Angus and Julia Stone: We were thinking of this as our first dance song, because we will be going on a big jet plane for our honeymoon and it's really pretty with no depressing double meaning. We thought it'd be a great leaving song but we want to have a sparkler send-off on the jetty and dont really plan on having a stereo or making the band move down there.

  • Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles: The only Beatles song Matt likes is We Can Work it Out because when we saw Slipknot had it playing in the background when they came out for a second encore. He didn't like this one, not even the instrumental version. *slaps forehead*

  • Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World - Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole: We both liked this but I think its a little overused. But I guess Big Jet Plane has been thrashed pretty hard since it won number 1 in Triple J's hottest 100 too.

I REALLY like Today by the Smashing Pumpkins, should I just make our own meaning for what the song means to us? Or should I just skip over the song and find something else. It's looking like Big Jet Plane will most likely be our first dance song.


Some more songs that I like but haven't discussed yet:



  • Mushaboom - Feist: I think that this song is super cute and to me its about living together and how in the beginning even though you dont have kids or own your home life is still great because your together.

  • Do You Remember - Jack Johnson: the lyrics are just similar to how alot of relationships are, ours included. I'd probably figure out a way to change the lyrics so it was like our story.

  • Better Together - Jack Johnson: Because it is always better when we're together :)

  • Do You Realise - The Flaming Lips: Too bad this song is about saying goodbye.

  • Anything by Barry White coz he's voice is so sexy :P

  • All is Love - Karen O and the Kids: This song makes me happy.

  • Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars: I blame Glee for making me like this song. I bet it'd get used a bigillion times at a bigillion other peoples weddings.

  • Starlight - Muse: I'm not exactly sure if this is actually a love song, I listen to the chorus and I feel like it is, but most Muse songs have deeper meanings to them.

  • Unintended - Muse: Apparently its about being with the one you were meant/expected to be with. Screw that, it's still a pretty song.

  • Lost in the Moment - Daniel Lee Kendall: Triple J unearthed song that I used for our wedding website only to find that it's used on a scratchy ad >.< Still a cute song.

  • Crazy In Love - Beyonce and Jay Z: So I can booty pop down the aisle...with my dad... >.> srsly.

There are probably crap loads more that I'll think of. I've tried searching for wedding songs in the triple J forums but it kinda crashes >.< Some of the songs I have found weren't really what I was after anyways. Too bad Slipknot or Korn dont have any appropriate love songs coz thats pretty much all we listened to when we got together. Ah well plenty of time. :)

4 comments:

  1. How about Thirty Three by The Smashing Pumpkins?
    And Tonight, Tonight..

    Your Cloud - Tori Amos

    Planet New Year - Sarah Blasko

    B52s?
    Beach Boys?
    Beatles?
    Girl - B eck
    Saturate - Chemical Brothers
    The Clash
    The Cure
    Phoenix!
    Digital Bath - Deftones
    Elvis Costello
    Light my Fire - The Doors



    Also Today is the song Evan posted up on his FB wall after our first proper Sundate together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing, thanks for sharing great wedding songs. keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sophia!

    OMG LLAMA I FORGOT ABOUT THE DOORS! I went through a major obsession with them! Thanks for the extra songs. PS. Evan sounds amazing already :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problems Mac-attack. Love reading your wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete